Each month we highlight a different maker and an interesting story from our client research. This month we look at a mysterious clock by a previously unknown maker, and learn the fascinating story of a Virgin Islands clock.
Want to know about your clock? Do you want to identify or value a British antique clock (English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish), or find out what is known about its maker, its style, its quality? It might be a clock you already own in the family or one you are thinking of buying: a longcase clock (also known as a grandfather clock or tall clock), a bracket clock, a wall clock, or a lantern clock.
Perhaps you need a valuation for insurance, selling, probate or family division. Or you're looking for an appraisal, assistance with a clock purchase, or consultancy?
We carry a select stock of antique clocks, specialising in lantern clocks of a serious age and interesting nature. We research each clock and its maker carefully to provide a full resumé of its features and historical context.
Browse our stock on the Clocks for Sale page.
We offer two related services:
- We will sell your clock for you on a commission basis of 10% of the agreed selling price.
- Potential buyers can send us details by email of what you are looking for - clocks by a maker or of a certain surname, or made in a certain town or village, or clocks by a certain clock-making ancestor.
How to obtain titles by Brian Loomes, including the hard-to-find 'British Clocks Illustrated', available direct from us.
We have on this website around 150 extensively researched articles by Brian Loomes on:
- clock collecting and clockmakers
- types of antique clock and their care and maintenance
- a guide to identifying your clock's maker
- how to buy your first clock
Our newest series of articles highlights some of the clocks brought to us for identification and tells the fascinating stories that our research has uncovered. Does your clock have a story to reveal?
There is also a large archive of sold clocks, showing many different examples of both lantern and longcase clocks.